MN GOP State Convention 2010

WELCOME to an odd mixture of Posts, Links and Videos on topics such as Family, Music, Religion, Current Events, Politics, etc. and all with my humor mixed in. And trust me, I'm verrrry funny.

I hope we engage in great conversations about all kinds of topics. So, don't hold back with your comments. (Unless you don't think I'm funny. In which case I highly suggest you reevaluate your position.)


NEW TO MY BLOG OR BEEN AWAY FOR AWHILE?
Don't miss out on some great posts in the "Blog Archive" section located at the bottom of the current posts. Enjoy and please feel free to leave comments! If needed instructions on how to leave a comment are listed in the left hand column.


Thursday, May 8, 2008

I'M NO LONGER A REPUBLICAN! I haven't been for a while and here's one reason why.








I am a conservative. There are just too many "rinos" (Republicans In Name Only) within the republican party these days. This is a party who I can no longer be defined as a proud member of or offer complete support to. What will this mean for future campaign involvement? I do not yet know.

There is a fairly silent but fierce internal struggle within the Republican Party. A struggle that will decide what will define the future of this party in America. Will they be a party lead by leaders who fight for true "conservative" principles and policies? Or will it be defined by the ever increasing number of "rinos" (and for some of you it might be surprising who I would consider a "rino") who are worried more about getting reelected than standing up for conservative principles? Time will tell but I hope we don't turn a blind eye to this struggle.

It certainly puts those of us who value principles over party loyalty in a frustrating position with our current two party political structure. I have to wonder if this is only a conservative dilemma or if others feel they are not truly represented in our two major parties these days. Perhaps the feeling that the politicians are not listening to the people is not solely a conservative one. If so, what do “we the people” do about it? Historically a third party, especially Presidential candidate, has more of an impact on deciding which of the two major candidates wins rather than a wake up call to our political parties. We have the power to vote them in, we have the power to replace them and we pay their salaries so don't they work for us? I think we must do something (at least from a conservative's point of view) but what?

5 comments:

Emily said...

There's nowhere for us conservative centrists to go either. I'm smack dab in the middle - except for a few key issues that put me on the conservative side. So I either vote for someone I disagree with or... someone I disagree with.

Brittany said...

yep. I have a great post prepared for closer to the election...you will definitely appreciate it!!

Hee hee hee - a teaser this was!!

Anonymous said...

Tell me more about what you think it means to be a Republican, a Conservative, a Democrat, or a Liberal. Who is a moderate?

I read an article yesterday in the paper about a coalition of evangical leaders who have encouraged folks to pull back a bit in terms of linking politics and religion. (I can't find the link to this story). I also saw a pretty good piece on NOW that addressed a similar suject--preaching politics at the pulpit.
Here is a link to the story:
http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/404/index.html

What do you think about this?

Lesley

Brittany said...

Great questions and I very much appreciate the link!! Let me know if you find where I can read the other article you mentioned.

I am going to check out the link you posted and then get back to you. I don’t take issues such as religion or politics lightly and very much appreciate the sensitivity they often bring to different people. Also, there are few things that frustrate me more than when I am misunderstood! So I have to figure out the best way to answer your questions both with the respect deserved to those that may disagree and with the clarity I hope to achieve to best express what I am trying to say.

As for your first question - I really don't know. I hate labels and yet living in the society in which we seem to have them everywhere and for everyone, I not sure how to avoid them at times (i.e. me considering myself more of a “conservative” than anything else regarding political positions). Perhaps it is can be used as a starting point to give people a very general idea of where your opinions might be coming from and go from there. Frankly I think these labels are constantly changing and different people have different opinions about what they mean and stand for. So labels are whatever somewhat wants or thinks they mean but it might be different for someone else. Plus you can often be lumped in with people that you don’t feel truly represent your positions. Not a very effective tool of communication if you ask me. Maybe you have a better take on this - what do you think they mean?

Anonymous said...

Ok--so I tend to think of liberal and conservative as paradigms, ways we think about and view the world. And there are many viewpoints along that continuum. Republican and Democrat are just groups folks choose to belong to. Public statements of their similarity to others--we like to associate with people who affirm our beliefs.
I think there are a lot of people out there who struggle because their world view doesn't fit tidily into one of the main "categories." And I think that is good--these are the folks who are thinking, challenging their notions, etc.--not just following the herd.

I have no ideas or suggestions. Mostly, I am just trying to learn about people who think differently that me.
Lesley

PICTURE SLIDESHOWS

Coming soon: pictures of the kids!!

Pictures (from before the kids ruled our home)

One Last Thought From Me

Why not remember this act of love and sacrifice daily rather than just at Easter? Yes, this event is an indescribably joyous one because Jesus did rise from the dead but we should never forget how and why He suffered unimaginably before defeating Death and Hell itself on our behalf. He did so while thinking of you and me. In doing so he personally took on our sin, our pain and a debt we could not pay in order to provide a way to complete forgiveness and redemption. The truth is, either way death is not the end and being a “good person” isn’t a substitution for being truly forgiven.

God tells us that by simply believing Jesus rose from the dead, confessing and turning away from our sin and making the Bible the true foundation of our life, we will be forgiven for our sins and live eternally in Heaven.


As you may know, I am far from perfect and if you have doubts about that I’m sure you can find a multitude of people who can confirm that. I have made countless mistakes and bad judgments and will again in the future despite my best intentions. It is because of this that I am exceedingly thankful I can go directly to God and ask for help, ask for forgiveness and know that God's mercy is new every morning as I continually work to keep my foundation on God's Word. Truly accepting God's love, mercy and a true freedom offered in a life firmly anchored in His Word is something there simply aren't words to describe.


I have to admit that I regularly take that for granted and listening to the words in a song like “Via Dolorosa” is one way to help remind me of the sacrifice Jesus made on that cross. Deciding to live for Christ was without a doubt the best decision I made in my life. Don’t get me wrong, it didn’t solve all my problems and make my life perfect. But I have a peace and hope only God can offer and I know in God’s eyes He sees a child forgiven rather than condemned. Now that I am a parent I can’t even begin to imagine what it must be like for God to watch His children exercise their free will when they chose to reject Him rather than embrace the salvation He offers each of us.


Regardless of your feelings on God and Jesus I hope you enjoy the power of the images and music I posted. And thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts about what can be a very sensitive issue.

Via Dolorosa (Latin for Sorrowful Road)


Countdown to Election Day 2012